So I broke down and bought the book. I've heard so many good things about it. As I've started reading it, I've realized that alot of the ideas are good ones, but they would be hard to implement when my kids don't speak fluent English yet. Most of PWLAL is about talking...giving the kids control through options, expressing feelings instead of giving order etc....but what do you do when your kids speak only pidgin English?!?!
Some of it we had already been doing too - if the kid doesn't change their behavior, you change their location. ie, when they throw a tantrum in Target, one of the parents takes the kid out of the store and to the car. If only one parent is present, you leave your basket where it is, and take the kids to the car and go home.
Many of our problems have been with the kids NOT making one of the given choices, NOT staying in their rooms to cool down, etc. They are far too big for us to pick them up, but we often have to do this in the end. Marina often needs to be physically restrained during her meltdowns so she doesnt "take-off", hurt herself or others or damage property. We have to physically pick her up and carry her out of the store when she has a tantrum as she will not walk out on her own two feet. We do't hurt her in any way- just bear-hug her until she calms down, or fireman carry her to where she needs to be.
Some of the battles we are losing include: being honest, going to bed at night, waking up in the morning, and constantly (and I mean constantly) comparing themselves to everyone else and how things that happen to them are "not fair!."
The food battles are mostly over. Marina is finally drinking milk, and they almost always eat their food at dinner. Lunch is another story, since I can't be there to make sure they are actually eating their lunches. I have talked to their teachers, who take them to lunch, so I have them keeping an eye out for me.
Another big challenge lately, including this weekend, is their Russian friends. Their Russian friends are not adopted. The parents are Russian immigrants, and these kids have lived with those parents their whole lives. Problem is, they still have many of the "bad habits" that are part of Russian culture - ie running around barefoot in the woods, peeing outside instead of using a toilet, going down to the lake to wash the dishes instead of using the nearby washhouse, letting the kids wear questionable clothing etc. Its been very hard to enforce our rules and boundaries on the girls when their Russian friends' families don't have similar rules.
We had an incident this Saturday while trying to attend Masha's birthday party. Even though Georgia is in a state of emergency drought, and Lake Lanier is 19 ft below where it should be, Masha's family decided they wanted to go camping and have a birthday picnic at the lake. andrew and I being in medicine, and I being an infectious disease specialist, we knew that in its current state, Lake Lanier posed a health risk to the girls. Their immune systems are still not 100%, they are on the INH for latent TB, and with the lake so low, all of the bacteria, viruses, and parasites are super-concentrated into a smaller amount of water. We told the girls that we would go to the lunch on the condition that they did not go in the water and they would not be allowed to go swimming. I dislike non-pool swimming anyways, but this was especially troubling, and they agreed to the condition. I was cleaning a few things out of the car when I hear Andrew bellowing across the park for me. Apparently, the girls, along with Masha and another Russian kid, went down to the lake to "wash the picnic dishes in the lake water" (YUCK!!!) and got their feet all muddy. On top of this they were not wearing their shoes while tromping through the forest (where there was visible broken glass from boaters). I catch up with them as they are returning to the dreaded lake to wash their feet. I stop them and reinforce that they are not to go near the lake water. I let the first transgression slide, as I thought that maybe they misunderstood that they were not to even put their feet in the lake. I tell them to go up to the little bath house and wash their feet there. A few minutes later we spot them on a private boat pier, splashing around and dipping their hands and feet into the water. Well, we had given them a second chance, and they chose to disobey us again. So we ran over, got them away from the water, and let them know that we were disappointed that they went to the water even after we reminded them not to, and then annouced that we were leaving the party and going home. PWLAL, If you can't change their behavior, you change their location - right? They were upset, screaming, wouldn't go get their shoes (which they had again left behind at the campsite and not worn while running through the woods), and we finally got them to the car, in tears.
The biggest issue came with trying to explain our decision to the russian families there. They had no idea WHY it was not ok for the kids to run barefoot and muddy around the lake. They seemed to not want to simply respect our wishes as the girls parents - i got the feeling that they felt that we were sub-par parents that needed to be educated on how to raise "russian" kids. that somehow by us not being russian, we were not good enough parents for the girls because we were depriving them of their "culture" by prohibiting them from doing these things. Not wanting to burn-bridges with our daughter's best friend's family, I explained as best I could over and over. Then I finally returned to the car, and we left. The girls wailed most of the way home, beat the back of our car seats, refused to put on their seat belts etc.
more later, and photos too.
