Thursday, June 14, 2007

Having a Melt Down

I am totally in melt down mode right now. Our budget for the adoption trip is far too tight for my sanity and I'm hoping that my favorite aunt and Godfather will be able to draw up the emergency loan paperwork.

I am also going to talk to my parents this weekend about the possibility of their help if something goes wrong when we are in Ukraine, financially. I'm not worried about anything else really. We've been to Ukraine, stayed there for extended periods of time, can speak enough Russian to get by, and know our kids. Paperwork doesn't scare me.

The big unknown for me is the airplane tickets for the trip home. Someone who is there now was quoting $6000 for return tickets. I know that that is just a number, and I have no clue how many people they are buying tickets for, where they are flying to, what class they are flying, what airline etc. But I still freak out.

We live in Atlanta, a major airline hub. So, airfare is generally less to/from here. Our one way ticket to Germany were only $600 each. Based on other people's experiences, I was making my estimates based on the assumption that #1 kids cost less to fly, and #2 airfares purchased in ukraine are cheaper. We didn't by round trip tickets for two reasons - #1 we are flying into Frankfurt and out of Kyiv and #2 we knew that most airlines charged you a ton of fees to change your flight, sometimes people end up just buying a whole new ticket.

Arggghhhhhh! I need a happy pill. Or a beer. Or both :) I don't know how I am going to survive the next week.